Introducing myself

pstarrett
pstarrett Posts: 5 Enthusiast

Hello All,

I am new here and thought I would say 'hi.' I am into compliance technology and machine learning compliance. I would enjoy connecting with anyone who just wants to chat about just about anything technical. Thank you!

Paul Starrett

Comments

• Lorena_Seco
    Lorena_Seco Posts: 183 QUANTEXA TEAM

Hi @pstarrett ! Welcome to the Quantexa Community :)

I'm Lorena, part of the Community team here at Quantexa, so if you have any questions around the Community and how to get the most out of it, don't hesitate to reach out.

For now, I'd recommend these two posts if you haven't checked them out yet:

Since you're into the technical side of things, I'd also recommend starting a conversation on our technical Topic "Quantexa Platform", whether you have a question or you would just like to get an open conversation started, this is the place to get the juices flowing while connecting with other Community members 😊

Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself, and looking forward to chatting more to you here on the Quantexa Community 👩‍💻

• Dan_Pryer
    Dan_Pryer Posts: 1,661 QUANTEXA TEAM
    edited December 2022

Hey @pstarrett and welcome to the Quantexa Community 😊

I'm Dan, one of the Academy Leads in our Data Engineering Academy here at Quantexa! I enjoy reading about machine learning but I'll confess I don't know much about how it's used from a compliance perspective so I'd have to go and have a bit of a read I think 🤓

Dan Pryer - Senior Data Engineer

R&D - Decision Systems / Detection Packs

Did my reply answer your question? Then why not mark it as having answered in the bottom right corner of my post! 😁

• Areefih_Ghaith
    Areefih_Ghaith Posts: 10 QUANTEXA TEAM

Welcome Paul :)

• pstarrett

Thank you!

• pstarrett

@Lorena Thank you for the welcome and for directing me to the resources. My plan is to get contribute to the community in ways that I can.

• pstarrett

@Daniel Thank you for your response. The learning curve for machine learning (ML) and AI is doable. First, I am not a big fan of the Term AI so I will use ML from here on in. :)

ML is relevant in two ways where compliance is concerned. It can be used to automate compliance-related tasks and to assist in decision-making, especially in threat detection and alerting systems. Second, ML itself must be compliant with privacy (and other) laws. Issues related to adversarial robustness, fairness/bias, and explainability fall into this area.

Let me know if you need more here. I am aware of resources for you.

• Dan_Pryer

Thanks for the info @pstarrett , that sounds pretty interesting! ML has such a huge variety of applications 😀 I'm most familiar with it from an cosmological perspective as that's my background. It's used all over the field now, from image classification, generating galaxy catalogues, model fitting and more! Would like to have more time to get a bit more hands on with it.

Did my reply answer your question? Then why not mark it as having answered in the bottom right corner of my post! 😁

• pstarrett

@Daniel I think it is a great idea to learn as much as you can given the ubiquity of ML/AI in general and in compliance. Do you have experience programming? Here is a site that is perfect to start even if just to get to know concepts. To the extent you do not program, I think you should be able to follow along. Also, I think it is well worth the time investment to learn to program. 'R' is a good place to START but I would definitely make the move to Python for various reasons (I made this decision about 7 years ago when I started into ML and I am thanking myself!). Python is an 'easy learn' relatively speaking.

Let me know if this is what you are looking for. Happy to drill down on it more.

• Dan_Pryer

Hey @pstarrett thanks for the link and sorry for the slow reply - I think the notification got lost somewhere! I'll have to check that out over the xmas break!

And yes I have about 10 years programming experience including Python, C++, Scala, SQL etc :) Have done a bit of machine learning in Python but only some basic stuff so far! Can agree that Python is very easy compared to something like C++!

User Profiles
Getting Started Topic Owners
Ask our Topic Owners about anything you need to know to kick-start your Quantexa experience
VP Customer Success
Head of Customer Success Management - EMEA